Things are hopping here. I’m working on two sci-fi novels (one the sequel to Free Radicals), am translating Rodolfo Montes de Oca’s “Contracorrientes” (in English, not that it corresponds, “Venezuelan Anarchism: The History of a Movement”), am doing a bit (not enough) to expanded 20 Reasons to Abandon Christianity to book length, have resurrected with new and old friends the Pinche Blues Band, and am just getting a good start on an as-yet-unnamed acoustic project with Michael Turner, another old compañero, bassist, and former bandmate, who just moved back to town.
Beyond that, I’m taking a very useful studio recording class out at Pima (great instructor), am writing a lot of songs all over the map (funk to fusion to jazz to blues to country–the next for public performance is probably the alt-country/hard-rock tune “Sieg Heil Y’all”), am spending an hour a day on the veggie garden (just spent two hours mixing potting soil and compost, and then filling the containers — cut-off soda bottles, etc.–for the spring starts); I’ll have just over 300 starts this year, with various types of tomatoes, bell peppers, chiles, eggplants, beans, squash, melons, herbs, etc. I’ll give, as usual, about two-thirds of them away–I always try to get other people into gardening: it’s a form of self-reliance and mutual aid, and in general just a good thing to do. (Fuck selling this shit for three bucks a start. Just fucking give it away. Do your friends and neighbors “a solid,”)
Anyway, here’s what’s coming up:
- A review of Charles Stross’s wonderful new novel, Empire Games;
- A long post on loneliness, the reasons for it, and how to combat it;
- Another good old-fashioned religious roundup;
- Excerpts from the various upcoming books;
- A long interview with alt-country player Al Perry;
- A very long post on who’s to blame for the present political crisis;
- A perhaps even longer post on what to do about it.